Spygate (NFL)

Spygate scandal
DateSeptember 9, 2007
Duration2007–2008
VenueNFL
ParticipantsNew England Patriots coaching staff, Bill Belichick, Roger Goodell, Josh McDaniels
OutcomeMultiple fines, docked draft selections, rule changes, lawsuits against Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots, ordered destruction of video tape evidence by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell

The Spygate scandal was a National Football League (NFL) controversy during the 2007 season, in which it was discovered that the New England Patriots were videotaping opposing coaches' signals during games under head coach Bill Belichick. It began when the New England Patriots were disciplined by the NFL for videotaping the New York Jets' defensive coaches' signals from an unauthorized location during a September 9, 2007 game. Videotaping opposing coaches is not illegal in the NFL, per se; there are designated areas allowed by the league to do such taping. Because the Patriots were instead videotaping the Jets' coaches from their own sideline during the game, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell deemed it to violate league rules, stating that the act represented a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid long-standing rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field. After an investigation, the NFL fined Patriots head coach Bill Belichick $500,000 (the maximum allowed by the league and the largest fine ever imposed on a coach in the league's history) for his role in the incident, fined the Patriots $250,000, and docked the team their original first-round selection in the 2008 NFL draft which would have been the 31st pick of the draft.

As part of their probe into the allegations, the NFL required the Patriots to turn over any and all notes and tapes relating to the taping of opponents' defensive signals. The Patriots refused to allow the video tapes to leave their athletic facilities; in turn, at Goodell's order, league officials went to the Patriots' facilities and smashed the tapes.

Because the tapes were immediately smashed and never thoroughly examined by league officials, the size and scope of Spygate remain largely unknown. This led to criticisms against Goodell for destroying mounting evidence that could have exposed the Patriots organization. The destruction of videotapes was criticized on February 1, 2008 – 2 days before Super Bowl XLII – by U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania Arlen Specter, who requested to meet with Goodell. After meeting with Goodell on February 13, 2008, Specter reported that Goodell told him that Belichick had been engaged in the practice since he became head coach of the Patriots in 2000. Belichick said he believed he was operating within the rules as long as the tape was not used during the same game.

Whistleblowers within the Patriots organization alleged that illegal videotaping began as early as the 2000 season. A major controversy erupted when the Boston Herald reported that the team had also filmed the St. Louis Rams' private "walkthrough" practice before Super Bowl XXXVI in 2002. While Bill Belichick denied this, the NFL sought evidence from Matt Walsh, a former Patriots video assistant who had been fired following the 2002 season.

After reaching an indemnity agreement with the NFL in April 2008, Walsh provided evidence that clarified the scope of the team's activities. Walsh turned over eight videotapes containing footage of opposing coaches' hand signals recorded between the 2000 and 2002 seasons. This confirmed that the practice of filming signals from prohibited locations had been a long-standing operation. The Herald alleged that there was a ninth tape showcasing the Rams' private practice. Walsh met with Commissioner Roger Goodell on May 13, 2008, and explained that, while he and other employees were present during the Rams' walkthrough to set up equipment, no recording of the practice was actually ever made.

Because Walsh could not substantiate the existence of a walkthrough tape, Goodell announced that no further penalties would be leveled against the Patriots. Following these revelations, the Herald issued a formal apology and retracted its original story regarding the alleged walkthrough footage.