United States strikes on alleged drug traffickers during Operation Southern Spear

United States strikes on alleged drug traffickers during Operation Southern Spear
Part of Operation Southern Spear, the US military buildup in the Caribbean, the war on terror and the war on cartels
Unclassified footage of the first airstrike (1 September)
TypeAirstrikes
Locations


Planned byUnited States
TargetVessels crewed by and outposts of alleged drug traffickers
Date1 September 2025 – present
(6 months, 1 week and 6 days)
Executed by
Casualties157 people killed (includes 3 missing and presumed dead)
2 captured and 2 extradited

The United States military began executing airstrikes on vessels in the Caribbean Sea in September 2025, described by the administration of President Donald Trump as part of an effort to fight the flow of illicit drugs from Latin America to the US. In October, the strikes expanded to include vessels in the Eastern Pacific Ocean. The Trump administration has alleged, without producing public evidence, that the vessels were operated by groups it designated as narcoterrorists, including the Venezuelan criminal organization Tren de Aragua and the Colombian far-left guerilla group National Liberation Army.

As part of what was later unveiled as Operation Southern Spear, the US began deploying Navy warships and personnel to the Caribbean in mid-August. Trump announced on 2 September that the US Navy had carried out the first airstrike in the Caribbean on a boat from Venezuela, killing all 11 people aboard; he released a video of the incident, which Venezuelan sources said had occurred on 1 September. US officials said that this was a military operation against drug cartels in Latin America and that these military operations would continue. As of 8 March 2026, at least 157 people had been killed in at least 45 strikes on 46 vessels and the US had made its first strike on a land target within Venezuela.

The strikes came amid tensions between the United States and Venezuela as Trump steadily increased pressure. Venezuela's Nicolás Maduro repeatedly accused the US of seeking regime change which some third-party sources agree with. Experts, human rights groups and international bodies have said the killings are illegal under US and international law, and the Colombian and Venezuelan governments have accused the US of extrajudicial murder. In 2025 the Republican-controlled US Senate twice rejected resolutions that would limit Trump's authority to continue military action against Venezuela or airstrikes against alleged drug vessels. On 3 January 2026, Maduro was captured and flown out of the country by US forces.

On March 6, 2026, the United States expanded land strikes into Ecuador after beginning joint military operations with the Ecuadorian Armed Forces in the Ecuadorian conflict (2024–present), bombing a camp of alleged FARC dissidents along the Colombia-Ecuador border.